Sunday, June 29, 2008

Look at me, having a social life

Yeah, that's right. I went out. With young people. Claire hooked me up with her daughter who is 22 and just returned to KL after getting her MBA in London. I didn't really want to go at first - I didn't want Claire to make Sharmini take me out. It's like when so-and-so's cousin is in town and your mom forces you to let her hang out with your friends and it's really awkward because you've never met her. And it definitely was like that for awhile. Tequila shots helped lubricate the situation.

Sharmini is a big equestrian person and that night was someone from the polo team's birthday. I was really nervous because I don't know a single thing about horses or country clubs or Ralph Lauren. Or having money. We went to Heritage Mansion, an old residence of a KL property tycoon that is now a invite-only club. But that night I was on the list. Or Sharmini was anyway. The inside was very ritzy - people drinking cocktails in the shadows on gold-covered couches and techno blaring from the DJ stand. The first hour or so was pretty miserable because I didn't know a single soul (I'm awkward enough as it is) and everyone was talking about the jumping competition that had been that day. But the people watching was great and I could kind of just blend in with the furniture for a bit. Luckily the drinking started, and the fun began. This great little gay guy named Daniel adopted me. I think he was once an outcast in this group, too - he lives in Bali but his partner rides. He talked to me about surfing and how he wants to go to L.A. A flaming drink for the b-day boy and a couple shots later, we were all dancing and carrying on. Everyone was taking pictures for Facebook. We were suppose to go to another club, but since the competition was all weekend long, Sharmini wanted to go home early. Her driver picked us up, and she said she'd give me a ring if they go out next weekend. I'd probably go again.

Last night was actually really nice, too - in a completely different way. Randa invited us over for Lebanese food and to play Canasta (which I just learned in Bali). Her husband is the head of Nestle's Asia division, and they are maybe the nicest people I've ever met. They have two really smart kids and a great Burmese mountain dog. Anyway, now I'm just rambling. It was fun in a Family Night kind of way.

No comments: