Sunday, July 6, 2008

Last weekend out in KL

Friday night I went out with Sharmini again to The Mansion and to this crazy Venezuelan party at Cuba, the club at The Westin. The party would have been a ton of fun if you had a good group of people and wanted to dance, but I think Sharmini and her friends were a little weirded out by the crowd. I was kind of out of it because we'd just got back from Cambodia really early that morning and I hadn't napped or anything.

Last night we went out with my aunt's friend Noma and her husband Ash, who is a big wig in General Electric's India division. They were just in town from Delhi for the weekend. Cindy and I were going to visit them on this trip, but Noma was originally going to be in the U.S. when I was here. I'm dying to go to India. Luckily, I made friends, and Noma said come visit any time. Yay! She's so, so nice and would a blast to hang out with.

We went to dinner at Chinoz on the Park in KLCC (part of the Petronas Towers, once the tallest buildings in the world). They have a tastings menu, which I'd never tried before - each person selects two appetizers, one main, and a dessert and the portions are small so you get to try a little bit of everything. It's really nice both for picky people (like me) that don't want to risk trying new things because it might ruin the meal and for people who like a lot of different things. I really enjoyed it. Afterwards, I convinced (really just suggested, didn't think it'd actually work) everyone to go out. We ended up at Luna Bar, this posh watering hole on the top of the Pacific Regency Hotel. A couple entries back I said to go to Menara for the view, but if you're of drinking age (not even sure what that is in Malaysia...), spend the extra money and go to Luna Bar instead. It is expensive, but the night view is impressive and the ambiance of the place is fantastic. The lower level seating, comfy futons in the bay windows and couches, are situated around the open-air pool. It's a place where you could be social and mingle or have a great time hanging with friends - and be able to hear what they're saying. I wish I'd had my camera, but here's a pic from the Web site. Noma and Ash threw a New Year's Eve party at Luna a couple years ago and said the fireworks were amazing. I imagine so. I guess the men's bathroom is pretty cool - it's just a glass wall so it's like you're peeing on the city!

Alright, I'm off to Jalan Petaling and Central Market to finish up some souvenir shopping. I can't believe I leave in a couple days!

No comments: