Thursday, July 3, 2008

Our last day

And a sad one at that. People who only come for two days are crazy. There's so much more than just the temples to see and do and eat. I haven't said much about the food, but we've had some good stuff. The first night here we went to the FCC - Foreign Correspondents Club. It was never really the dark and dingy haunt of war journalists that you'd imagine but rather an offshoot of the real deals in places like Hong Kong and Indonesia. Either way, the food was amazing. I had fish amak, a popular Khmer dish, and Cindy had this tasty chicken curry. Since then, we've had more Khmer food and also Thai, Italian, Mexican and fusion - no complaints about any of it. We also found this delicious bakery - the French were here for a long time, so they're trained pastry chefs around - with amazing almond croissants. Mmm. I've eaten way too much though. I bet I've gained 10 pounds on this trip. That's the risk with a seven-week vacations I guess. But if you make it to Siem Reap, eat out on Pub Street; it's a great place to not only eat, but drink and watch/meet people.

Today, we did some (read: a ton) of last-minute shopping and then went back out to the temples for a while. At sunset, the thing to do is climb this big hill and see the sun over Angkor Wat. Talk about overrated. There's a bunch of people up there, and the view is not that good. I'd rather just photograph the temples up close when the light is good. We really lucked out with the weather today, like a dream. I don't want to leave.

No comments: