Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Oh, we are so over

This is it. The end. After almost two months, our relationship is over. I'm breaking up with Southeast Asia. I packed up my stuff, and I'm moving out. It's time to head home, wherever that may be (my boarding pass tells me Chicago).

I didn't mean to cast such a negative tone over the "relationship" with the 'Kelsey's Got Beef' post. It really has been an amazing experience. The bad comes with good in Malaysia, and there will be things I'll miss - the 3-to-1 exchange rate for starters. It's incredible to think that I've been living in a place where three major races and a dozen religions all exist peacefully. It's a moderate Muslim country. Yes, it exists. This is a Third World country with fantastic shopping, all the food you could ever want, and a convenient rail system. But I'm sorry, Asia, it's me, not you. It's time to move on with my life. My limo is coming soon - about 25 hours and a half dozen bad Korean meals later, I'll be back in the United States.

But for how long? Who knows. I imagine not long. I've already been thinking about returning to Siem Reap to volunteer. And maybe even joining the Peace Corp. But I'll probably date around for a while first before I settle down. I hear magazine journalism asked for my number...

No comments: